Thursday, July 19, 2007

The 2006 List: Old Favorites/classics/previous years' lists

The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
By George Howe Cult. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from last year’s list, the history of a summer house on Cape Cod. It helped that I read it while I was staying in a house that had been in a family (not mine) for generations and had to be sold, mirroring exactly what was in the book.

The Complete Stories of Truman Capote
“A newly issued volume.”

Don’t Let’s go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood
By Alexandra Fuller. A riveting autobiography from last year’s list by a woman whose European family who farmed in Africa. Moments of utter horror and sorrow, but somehow bearable, even enjoyable.

The Mermaid Chair
By Sue Monk Kidd. Also from last year’s list/ I read this over the winter and found it a readable and interesting story. Others recommended it this year, too. I liked the
Secret Life of Bees better, but this was good, too.

Poisonwood Bible
By Barbara Kingsolver. This was recommended this year. I really love Kingsolver’s early books, for those who haven’t read them …
The Bean Trees, in particular.

A Prayer for Owen Meany
By John Irving. So many people cite this as their favorite book ever, including (for a spell, at least) my husband.
Vanity Fair. “Someone else I know suggested it. It's good, but there is no one good to pull for.”

No comments: